On studentship, using your art to heal, and becoming heavy enough to hold it all.
Kiese Laymon is the author of three books, most recently the NY Times bestselling memoir, Heavy: An American Memoir. He is a Professor of English born and raised in Jackson Mississippi.
- The places we stay [3:26]
- What inspired Kiese to write Heavy to his mother [5:05]
- The consequences of masking pain [7:18]
- How learning requires failure [11:31]
- Parenting and secrets [14:25]
- The importance of tender touch [18:25]
- What does it mean to repair damage done? [21:43]
- The overlapping problems with police [25:19]
- Gambling addiction and recovery [29:50]
- Kiese’s Grandmother. Embodying love. Heavy enough [36:03]
Heavy by Kiese Laymon
Kiese Laymon on Dani Shapiro’s podcast Family Secrets